I'm just using this community to keep track of the movies I've watched and practise writing reviews if I'm so inclined. I didn't want to flood my personal blog with these entries because most of my friends don't care as much about movies. I thought about starting another blog instead but this is definitely easier than logging off and on separate blogs.
- - - - -
I think the following characteristics define the movie connoisseur in me:
1. I watch as a gay man (meaning I'm partial to camp and chick flicks, etc. and am turned off by war and sports movies, though there are plenty of exceptions in all these genres).
2. I can overlook many flaws in a movie as long as it accomplishes its primary purpose (e.g. a really scary horror).
3. I believe that no one sets out to make a bad movie and I try to appreciate it as best I can (many do however, often set out to make excruciatingly stupid movies).
4. I am not ashamed to love movies like Bring It On (though I might hesitate to admit this in person).
5. I rate movies according to how much I like them.
6. Most importantly, I love, love, love movies, and I go into each movie hoping to experience the exhilaration I get whenever I watch a great movie.
Favorite Movies (subject to change, since my taste does change over the years)
The 39 Steps 8 Women Adam’s Rib The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert Alien All the Wrong Spies (Wo ai ye lai xiang) Armour of God II: Operation Condor (Fei ying gai wak) Beautiful Thing The Bridges of Madison County Big Business Bring It On Bringing Up Baby Clue Cube Death Proof Double Indemnity Elizabeth Elvira, Mistress of the Dark Fever Pitch The Fifth Element Gentlemen Prefer Blondes The Goonies Groundhog Day Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner Hairspray (2007) Harvey Heart and Souls His Girl Friday Hero (Ying xiong) Holiday The Lady Eve Last Night A League of Their Own A Letter to Three Wives Lifeboat Little White Lies (TV) Maid to Order The Mirror Has Two Faces My Man Godfrey Mystic River A Night at the Opera Noises Off… On Golden Pond Out of the Dark (Wui wan yeh) Rear Window Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway Return to Oz Session 9 The Sixth Sense Some Like It Hot Star Wars trilogy (the original, duh) Summertime
Possible Favorites (requires more viewings but some of these are so hard to rewatch)
Aliens Amelie Avatar Before Sunset Bells Are Ringing Bridget Jones’s Diary Brokeback Mountain Butterflies Are Free Christmas in Connecticut Clerks. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Foreign Correspondent Frequency The Great Escape Home for the Holidays In Bruges Into the Wild It’s My Party Kill Bill 1 & 2 Laura Little Miss Sunshine Long Day’s Journey Into Night The Maltese Falcon Milk The Philadelphia Story Remember the Night Sorry, Wrong Number Stage Fright Star Trek Stranger Than Fiction That Touch of Mink Tokyo Godfathers Under the Tuscan Sun The Way We Were They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? Up Whip It Wit Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown A World Without Thieves (Tian xia wu zei)